Tuesday 11 November 2014

Tree studies in mono

Late autumn and winter are my favourite seasons to take tree pictures. I am partial to abstract patterns created by leafless branches and trunks. And great object to exercise my skills in square composition. Dark grey overcast skies didn’t stop me from getting out for a ramble.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* CF F/4 50 mm

All images below were taken with Hasselblad 500C/M, Ilford Delta 100, developed in Rodinal 1:50



As I have already mentioned square format in naturally balanced, and even a simple symmetrical composition looks pretty good.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* CF F/4 50 mm

This one is a bit more complex, I used Planar to isolate leaves in otherwise busy scene.

Carl Zeiss Planar T* C F/2.8 80mm

An old retaining wall,  taken with Planar

Carl Zeiss Planar T* C F/2.8 80mm

and Distagon

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* CF F/4 50 mm

The second one looks better to my eyes.

As a side note, I am still working on my film developing skills. I tried my newly acquired tank and couple frames were lost because developer didn't cover emulsion evenly along the upper spiral. May be I just need to put more developer and agitate a bit more next time.

That's all for now and thanks for dropping by,

vkphoto

4 comments:

  1. Great site! Your photos make me think of getting back to film. Pavel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see any advantages of film, those pictures could easily be taken with P&S digicam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May be. May be not. I shoot film differently than digital.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.