Sunday 22 September 2013

Shooting macro with cheap focusing rail

My biggest challenge shooting macro with reverse lenses is razor-thin depth of field. The lens focusing ring doesn't work and I had to move the camera to or away from the object to nail the focus. Very tedious exercise. I started to look for some sort macro focusing rail and just got one from eBay for $11 delivered.

Rig assembled (X-Pro1 with Nikkor 28/2.8 in reverse)

How does this rail work for macro?
Surprisingly well made, sturdy with smooth movements. But you need your own tripod mount plate.


And it doesn't block access to the memory card (shown with my own generic Arca Swiss plate attached).


Couple samples



I like the rail, it really helps to obtain the focus quickly. It is cheap but does the job well. Now I want to try focus stacking macro technique.


Thanks,
vkphoto

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.